There are very few humanities programmes at private universities in Germany - demand for Bachelor's and Master's degrees in philosophy and related subjects is low. Nevertheless, there are a number of interdisciplinary degree programmes with a humanities component, such as Bachelor's degrees in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. In addition, there is a comparatively good range of theology degree programmes.
I present all these degree programmes, the requirements, contents and tuition fees here.
Overview of all Courses
We have a total of 27 courses in the field of Humanities.
Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Intercultural theology, migration and global cooperation
Hermannsburg University of Applied Sciences for Intercultural Theology
Transformation Management in Digital Societies | DS
Visual and Media Anthropology
University for Media, Communication and Business
Which university is the best?
There's no definite answer to this question as the quality of studies at each university depends on some factors, some of which are highly individual: Personal preferences in specialisations or location, size and individual support of the university and, of course, the costs.
Here's an overview of private universities in Germany with degree programmes in the field of humanities.
Fresenius University of Applied Sciences: Fresenius University of Applied Sciences is one of the largest private universities of applied sciences in Germany. In winter semester 2020/2021, a total of 14,910 students were enrolled at the university. The Fresenius University of Applied Sciences is located in Idstein, Hesse, and also has campuses in Cologne, Hamburg, Munich, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Berlin and New York. The university mainly offers degree programmes in the fields of economics and natural sciences. Special feature: Many courses are not only offered as attendance courses, but also as distance learning or evening study courses.
Witten/Herdecke University: Witten/Herdecke University was founded in 1982 as a non-profit limited company and is the oldest private university in Germany. The university is located in Witten in North Rhine-Westphalia. In the winter semester 2020/2021, a total of 2,739 students were enrolled at the university. Special feature: As a university, Witten University is also entitled to award doctorates. At its Faculty of Cultural Reflection, the university offers a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, among others.
Karlshochschule International University: Karlshochschule is a private, state-recognised university of applied sciences located in Karlsruhe, Baden-Wuerttemberg. The university was founded in 2005. In the winter semester 2020/2021, a total of 474 students were enrolled at the university. The university offers a Bachelor's degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics, among others.
Bard College Berlin: Bard College Berlin is a private, state-recognised university based in Berlin. The German-American university was founded in 1999; in the winter semester 2020/2021, a total of 243 students were enrolled. Bard College offers interdisciplinary Bachelor's degree programmes in the humanities and social sciences; the language of instruction for the degree programmes is English. Special feature: Students can obtain a German and American double degree.
Zeppelin University: Zeppelin University is a state-recognised, private university located in Friedrichshafen, Baden-Wuerttemberg. The university was founded in 2003, and in the winter semester 2020/2021 a total of 871 students were enrolled at the university. The university sees itself as a university between business, culture and politics; accordingly, the degree programmes are also interdisciplinary. Particularly interesting: the B.A. Sociology, Politics & Economics.
Alanus University of Arts and Social Sciences: Alanus University is a private, state-recognised art university based in Alfter, North Rhine-Westphalia. The university was founded in 1973; in the winter semester 2020/2021, a total of 1,694 students were enrolled at the university. At its Faculty of Human and Social Sciences, the university offers, among others, a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, Art and Social Design. Special feature: As a university of the arts, Alanus University is entitled to award doctorates.
Study Business Administration & Philosophy
At private universities, there is no pure Philosophy programme as at many state universities. All philosophy programmes at private universities are interdisciplinary and combine, for example, political science, economics or business administration and philosophy. Advantage: The career opportunities with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in an interdisciplinary philosophy programme are immensely higher than with pure Philosophy programmes.
An example of such a programme is the Bachelor of Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the Fresenius University of Applied Sciences. The programme is structured as follows:
- 1st semester: Introduction to Philosophy, Introduction to Political Science, General Psychology I, Fundamentals of Business Administration, Scientific Working
- 2nd semester: Practical Philosophy, International Political Systems, Economic Psychology, Human Resource Management and Leadership, Application-oriented Microeconomics
- 3rd Semester: Social Philosophy, International Political Organisations, Social Psychology, Business Communication, Applied Macroeconomics, Empirical Research Methods
- 4th semester: International and Intercultural Management, Digital Transformation, Data Science and Data Analytics, Focus
- 5th semester: Philosophy of Economics, Political Philosophy, Political Leadership, Political Communication and Campaigns, Elective Module I
- 6th semester: Society and Politics, Strategy-oriented Organisational Design and Development, Compulsory Elective Module II, Bachelor Thesis, Bachelor Colloquium
During their studies, students delve into topics such as globalisation and internationalisation, occupational psychology and digitalisation, international management or market, advertising and media psychology.
Here is an overview of the most interesting philosophy degree programmes with business administration and politics components at private universities in Germany:
| Philosophy, Arts and Social Entrepreneurship, Bachelor of Arts|
|Alanus University of Arts and Social Sciences||Alfter||6 Semester||from 16524 € total|
from 469 € monthly
| Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Master of Arts|
|Witten/Herdecke University||Witten||4 Semester||from 22840 € total|
| Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Bachelor of Arts|
|Fresenius University of Applied Sciences||Hamburg, Cologne or Munich||6 Semester||from 30600 € total|
from 850 € monthly
| Politics, Philosophy and Economics, Bachelor of Arts|
|Karlshochschule International University||Karlsruhe||6 Semester||from 24846 € total|
from 790 € monthly
Studying ethics in the Master's programme at Witten University
Witten/Herdecke University is the only private university in Germany to offer a Master's programme in ethics - the M.A. Ethics and Organisation. The programme lasts 2 semesters in full-time study or 4 semesters and is limited to 30 seats per semester.
A first university degree of 240 ECTS is required for the 2-semester variant. In addition, applicants have to submit a letter of motivation. Applicants may then be invited to a selection day at the university and undergo a personal selection procedure.
In the 2-semester variant with 60 ECTS, students complete modules from the following areas:
- Ethics and practical philosophy: foundations and perspectives of philosophical ethics, applied ethics and practical philosophy
- Organisation: organisational theory, organisational research
- Specialisations: Specialisation in Politics, Specialisation in Health, Specialisation in Economics, Specialisation in Culture
- Organisational ethics specialisation: organisational ethics and politics, organisational ethics and health, organisational ethics and business, organisational ethics and culture
- Independent Studies
- Study fundamentale
- Master's thesis
The course costs a total of 9,828 euros in the 2-semester version and 14,400 euros in the 4-semester version.
Study theology privately
The range of theology degree programmes at private universities in Germany is comparatively good, even better than the range of other humanities degree programmes at private universities in Germany.
In the B.A. Protestant Theology at the International University of Applied Sciences Liebenzell, you will complete the following modules, for example:
- Interdisciplinary modules: Fundamentals of Studies, Introduction to Scientific Work, Developing Personality, Course-Specific Introduction General, Course-Specific Introduction ETH, Choir
- Old Testament: Hebrew, Introduction to the Old Testament
- New Testament: Greek, introduction to the New Testament, hermeneutics and exegetical methods, NT exegesis and Greek syntax
- Historical theology: overview of church and mission history
- Systematic theology: Dogmatics I, Dogmatics II
- Practical Theology: Fundamentals of Homiletics
- Intercultural Theology: Cultures and Religions
- Pedagogy: Theory and Practice of Pedagogy I, long-term internship
Here is an overview of all the Theology degree programmes at private universities in Germany: